Dogri Poet Narsingh Dev Jamwal got prestigious Padma Shri Award, one of the highest civilian awards of the country.
Narsingh Dev Jamwal of Jammu has been named for conferment of this award for his work in the field of literature and education. The award was presented by the President of India at a ceremonial function held at Rashtrapati Bhawan, in New Delhi.
Read also : Know about 2019 Padma Shri Awardees from Jammu & Kashmir
Here are some interesting things to know about Padma Shri Awardee Narsingh Dev Jamwal:
- Born in 1931 in the village of Bhalwal, Narsingh Dev Jamwal has worked for the Jammu and Kashmir Police from 1953 to 1986, laying down charge as Deputy Superintendent of Police.
- Narsingh Dev Jamwal did his Matriculation from Punjab University Lahore in 1945 and BA in 197 from J&K University, MA and Pre Ph D in 1991 from Jammu University.
- Since the early 1960s, Shri Jamwal has pursued a parallel career in the Dogri theatre with some twenty stage plays to his credit including originals and adaptations.
- Shri Jamwal has received Playscript Awards from the Jammu and Kashmir State Academy of Arts, Culture and Languages in 1967, 1973, and 1977, as well as Best Book Awards from the State Academy in 1972, 1989, 1993, and 1996.
- In 1978, he was honoured with a Sahitya Akademi Award for his novel in Dogri, Sanjhi Dharti Bakhle Mahnu. He won the President’s Police Medal in 1986.
Read also: About Dogri Writer Who Wins Sahitya Akademi Award this year
- Shri Narsingh Dev Jamwal receives the Sangeet Natak Akademi Award for his contribution to Indian theatre as a playwright.
[With inputs from online reports]