In a major decision, the Jammu and Kashmir administration recently created a separate division for Ladakh, which was part of the Kashmir division till now. With this, the state gets a third division, after Jammu and Kashmir divisions. Here are some interesting fact about Ladakh division an arid region of Jammu & Kashmir:
- The new division with administrative and revenue powers will comprise Leh and Kargil districts with headquarters at Leh. It will go a long way in fulfilling the “governance and development aspirations” of the people of Ladakh, which remains cut off from the rest of the world for six months due to harsh winter.
- The decision comes five days after Prime Minister Narendra Modi visited Ladakh on February 3.
- The government has also approved creation of the posts of Divisional Commissioner (Ladakh), Leh, and Inspector General of Police (Ladakh), Leh, besides constituting a committee under the chairmanship of Principal Secretary (Planning) for creation of posts, staff, roles, responsibilities and location of offices.
- The Ladakh Autonomous Hill Development Council (LAHDC), Kargil, had formally raised the issue with Governor Satya Pal Malik in November last year and subsequently passed a resolution on December 6, close on the heels of a similar resolution by the council governing the ideologically-different district of Leh on December 1.
- Ladakh is one of the most sparsely populated regions in Jammu and Kashmir and is the highest plateau in the state, with most of it being over 9,800 feet above sea level.
This decision of the Government goes a long way in fulfilling the governance and development aspirations of the people of Ladakh region.