According to a scientific research, there is a strong possibility of the presence of gas and petroleum in the Himalayan state of Jammu and Kashmir. Here are some quick facts about the study:
- The study was published under the title, ‘Petroleum systems and hydrocarbon potential of the North-West Himalayas of India and Pakistan’, by an Italian oil company, Ente Nazionale Idrocarburi.
- The results have been achieved through a rigorous, 10-years long, study which is being considered as “one-of-its-kind” in the field.
- According to the research, the evolution of the Himalayas has resulted in formation of sedimentary basins, which can prove to be a source of natural gas and oil.
- The rocks in the northwest Himalayas date back up to a billion years.
- According to said Naveen Hakhoo, IERT, University of Jammu,Read also: Do you know about this Jammu doctor who sold his ancestral land for charity?
“So far, no comparable research paper exists in the scientific world on the subject. Although some wells were dug by the ONGC in the past, commercial discoveries have remained largely elusive. The exploration is hampered by structural complexity, difficult terrain, drilling complications and poor data quality”
[With inputs from online reports]