Solar and other non conventional sources of energy is the future of the world’s energy needs. India is spearheading in shifting its energy dependency away from fossil fuels. In such an attempt, a solar power project has been installed at Katra Railway Station. Here are a few things to know about the project:
- This is the biggest rooftop solar power plant in Jammu and Kashmir.
- It is also the largest power plant built on Indian Railways.
- The solar project has a capacity of generating 1 Mega Watt power under ideal weather conditions.
- The project can provide 5000 units of power per day.
- It is estimated that the project will prevent 10000 tons of Carbon Dioxide gas from entering the atmosphere.
- Every year, the project will save the railways from energy bills of Rs 1 crore every year.