Today is International Mother Language Day. In Jammu, most people have Dogri as their mother tongue. It is a fact that almost every Dogri speaker learns Dogri from experience as very few people learn this language as a second language from schools and other institutes. No doubt, Dogri is a thriving language but the way Dogras are focussing on teaching Hindi and English to their children, Dogri will soon turn into an endangered language.
Read also: Common but unnoticed facts about Dogri Language
Here is a small effort by Jammu Virasat to bring you some most used Dogri phrases, which could come handy or could be used to impress your Dogri speaking friends. A special note: the letter ऽ is used to elongate the preceeding vowel. Here they are:
- When you meet someone, ask them How are you- के हाऽल है
- If you are meeting them for the first time, say तुंदा नांऽ के ऐ- What is your name
- If you’ve got friendly with them, or need a favour to ask, start by offering them tea, by saying चा पीग्गे – Would you take tea
- Suppose you’re trying to note down an important point and you can’t find your pen, say it मेरा पैन्न कुत्थें ऐ – Where is my pen
- If in case you are new to the place and don’t know where to find public transport, don’t hesitate to ask मैटाडोर कुत्थूं थोऽग – Where could I catch the matador
- If you are new in town, the conductor might try to charge you more. If you catch him doing so, say it aloud बीर, बकाया देयो!
- AND a parting message to all Dogras, हिंदी साड़ी दादी है ते डोगरी साड़ी मां दादी थाऽर दादी है, ते मां थाऽर मां