Stage is all set for Jammu University Students Union elections which is considered to be a stepping stone to enter in mainstream politics.
It stands for Jammu University Students Union which is the umbrella student organisation at the University of Jammu. It is a representative body of students from most Jammu University Colleges and Faculties. Each colleges also have its own students union for which they hold separate elections every year.
First phase of Jammu University’s student union was completed yesterday in tight security.
Here are some quick facts about the elections:
The elections are first of their kind in the Jammu University and the Election to Students’ Union 2017-18 conducted on the recommendation of Lyngdoh Committee report approved by the University Council Resolution No. 81.17 dated 20/10/16 and as per Norms/Guidelines for Election to Students’ Union issued by the Dean Students Welfare for the Election to Students’ Union 2017- 18 at University of Jammu, Jammu.
The election for the University Students’ Union shall be conducted in two stages.
1. In first stage the election for electing DR/CR (Executive Member) shall be conducted.The elected candidates will elect the office-bearers for the Students’s Union.
2. The HOD shall invite nominations from the interested students (UG/PG) and M.Phil/PhD students through a notice, scrutinize the nomination papers and hold elections for electing the two Executive Members (DR/CR) as per the Schedule.
3. The nomination papers shall be scrutinized by HOD, Observer for the concerned department and assisted by two faculty members of the department (preferably senior faculty members).
4. There shall be a separate ballot paper/Boxes for UG/PG and M.Phil./Ph.D students.
5. In the departments where more than one PG/UG course is being taught, the students shall elect CR/DR (Executive Member) from each discipline (subject) separately. These elected CR/DR shall now elect two executive members among the elected CR/DR. One from the PG/UG and one from the M.Phil/Ph.D students. This shall be applicable also to all offsite campuses and constituent colleges where several courses are being taught. The voting to elect two executive council members be held on 26th of Sept. 2017 and results be declared and sent to Department of Students Welfare, University of Jammu on the same day.
The second phase of elections will be conducted on October 6.As per the Norms/Guidelines for Election to Students’ Union on the recommendation of Lyngdoh Committee at University of Jammu. Only the CR/DR (Executive Member) of the Teaching Departments, Offsite Campuses and the constituent colleges are eligible to contest the election for any of the following positions.
President – 1 Post
Vice-President – 1 Post
Secretary – 1 Post
Joint Secretary – 2 Posts
The candidate interested to contest for any of the above mentioned posts of Students’ Union shall be proposed and seconded by a CR/DR (Executive Member) of the Teaching Departments/Offsite Campuses/Constituent Colleges of the University.
More than 2000 students and scholars were expected to take part in these elections.
For the class representatives’ post, the elections were held for 22 out of 38 departments. At least14 class representatives were elected unopposed. Similarly, at least 23 departmentrepresentatives were also elected unopposed.
The elections were close contest between arch rivals- ABVP and NSUI.